It’s time for another installment of 30 Things My Kids Should Know About Me! This one should be pretty fun, because I get to list 20 random facts about myself. I hope my kids appreciate all of these little nuggets of knowledge.
As I sit here to write this, I have no idea what I’m about to say, so here goes!
20 Random Facts About Me
- My favorite foods include Olive Garden salad and Zuppa Toscana soup, Tres Leches cake (the more authentic, the better – don’t try and pass off grocery store imitations!), bacon, coconut juice (Taste Nirvana or Amy & Brian – don’t get me started with VitaCoco or other gross versions. lol), and toasted Italian subs with LOTS of lettuce, spinach, and pickles…. Now I’m getting hungry!!
- My right eye is half brown and half blue.
- I dropped out of high school at 17, got my GED 2 weeks later, started college classes 2 months later, and graduated Summa Cum Laude with a BA in Child & Family Studies a few years later. Oh, and I got a massage certification in that time frame, too. 🙂
- All of my birth experiences have been completely different. I love that I’ve gotten to have so many different experiences, and I feel like it really helps me with doula and childbirth education work. I’M A BIRTH JUNKIE.
- Until my late teens, I used to count everything in 4s. It was totally obsessive compulsive. The TV volume, how many strokes to brush my hair, how many M&Ms to eat on each side of my mouth, etc. I gave it up about the time I got married.
- I got married at 18, a month before I “should” have graduated from high school. Contrary to popular belief (at the time), it was not because I was pregnant. In fact, we both waited to do hanky panky until our wedding night!
- I decided to homeschool my kids well before they were school aged. I was pregnant with my first son, which means my daughter was under 2.
- Growing up, I always wished I was taller. Now, I’m cool with being on the short side.
- My normal wardrobe is generally shirt and jeans. I do like wearing dresses or capris sometimes, but shirt/jeans is practically my uniform!
- I’ve always gained between 42-50 pounds during my pregnancies (so far!), but have lost all or most of it within a few months postpartum (usually within 5-10 pounds).
- I am terrible at gardening and keeping green things alive. Now that we have a nice house, I try my best to make our front yard presentable, but I’m extremely mediocre at it.
- I’ve moved well over a dozen times. We moved a lot when I was a kid, and I attended a total of 4 different elementary schools.
- I had my ears pierced when I was in 2nd grade and left them in WAY too long after being pierced. I cleaned them OKAY, but they were still kind of crusty and gross and I was terrified of taking them out. My mom finally sat on my to take them out and I refused to wear earrings because I was scared. Fast forward to the summer before 9th grade. I was getting my wisdom teeth removed, and we asked the oral surgeon if he’d pierce them for me while I was under anesthesia. He agreed, so my mom bought a piercing kit and I got 2 piercings in each ear lobe.
- I am totally a slob. As a parent, I’ve had to hold it together and tidy up for the kids. Honestly, I was on track to be on Hoarders as a teen. I’m SO GLAD my life isn’t like that anymore. The more kids I have, the more of my own stuff I let go. 🙂
- Music was my LIFE as a teen. I really wanted to grow up and either be a big pop star OR perform on Broadway. I loved participating in musicals at our local community theatre. Ahhhhh, to have dreams.
- I rarely vacuum. If we aren’t having company, I seriously might vacuum once a month…. or two. We don’t allow food or drinks on the carpet, and I’m okay with little paper bits!
- I don’t drink alcohol. I did have some wine on my wedding night, but that’s literally, and truthfully, it.
- I almost always stay up past 1 AM. I did this starting in adolescence and I just can’t break it. Someone told me once that having kids would change it out of necessity, but… it didn’t.
- When I was little, I refused to wear socks and jeans because the seams drove me CRAZY!!! I wore leggings and jelly shoes for quite some time!
- I finally moved out to the Dallas/Fort Worth area about 3 years ago, and it was one of the best decisions of my life. I seriously live each day grateful for where I’m at, and thankful for the opportunities here that weren’t available where I moved from.